Sign in to follow this  
Frog

Computer freezing issue

Hey guys, I have a question for you.  My computer (laptop) has been freezing up periodically.  Don't know what is causing it.   It will just totally freeze suddenly, with no error messages, no slowing down, just all of a sudden totally freeze, can't move mouse, cant do ctrl alt delete.  Have to manually restart.

Any ideas?

I have had something that could be related.  A couple times it looked like it was froze, but then the screen flickered to black and then back to normal, and gives me an error message, something to do with video card or display.  Could that be the cause of the freezing?

I keep my video card up to date all the time.  I have a program that came with my computer that updates my video card drivers for me, after it notifies me of new drivers, and then I click okay to install.

Thanks!

Frog

Many students come into our office with similar issues.  The most common cause is its over heating.  On one laptop the internal fan had a lot umm, dust bunnies, I guess you can say.  I don't know if your laptop if its easy to get to the hard-drive and ram and video card area.  Try blowing some air in there.  Also try and use it on a surface that can dissipate heat well.  Hope it helps.

Very often I see these things happen when the CPU, Memory, or Hard Disk is overutilized. You could use perfmon to watch it over a period of time, or you could use a much better program called Astronomy and just capture the output to CSV after running it for a period of time. 

Other things to do.

1) Always run msconfig and remove any programs from starting up that don't need to run. Every program thinks it "has" to run at startup. Only Antivirus, malware and MS Operating System options need to be enabled.

2) Run Disk Cleanup on the C: and make sure you purge out unnecessary files.

3) Run ccleaner and clean out your temporary files and bad registry references. This can help a lot.

4) Open c:\windows\Prefetch and delete all references except the "ReadyBoot" folder. If you kill that folder you could nuke your profile.

5) Run at an elevated command prompt: chkdsk /r C: and accept it to run at next reboot. This will run before Windows starts and repair any bad files and sectors it finds automatically.

6) Run defrag /c /u /v /x. This will force defragment all partitions on all hard disks in verbose mode.

- Raven

Very often I see these things happen when the CPU, Memory, or Hard Disk is overutilized. You could use perfmon to watch it over a period of time, or you could use a much better program called Astronomy and just capture the output to CSV after running it for a period of time. 

Other things to do.

1) Always run msconfig and remove any programs from starting up that don't need to run. Every program thinks it "has" to run at startup. Only Antivirus, malware and MS Operating System options need to be enabled.

2) Run Disk Cleanup on the C: and make sure you purge out unnecessary files.

3) Run ccleaner and clean out your temporary files and bad registry references. This can help a lot.

4) Open c:\windows\Prefetch and delete all references except the "ReadyBoot" folder. If you kill that folder you could nuke your profile.

5) Run at an elevated command prompt: chkdsk /r C: and accept it to run at next reboot. This will run before Windows starts and repair any bad files and sectors it finds automatically.

6) Run defrag /c /u /v /x. This will force defragment all partitions on all hard disks in verbose mode.

- Raven

*cough cough* Shameless plug *cough cough*