Puppynuts

Overwatch

Yes a couple of us have mentioned it in TS.  I am looking forward to this.  Since valve took DOTA from Blizzard, I guess Blizzard now is going to try and take on TF2.  It looks good.  Lets see where it goes.

Yeh, I feel its a bit too much of a rip off of TF2 but it still looks pretty fun. I'm getting so antsy to get back online playing games... Gahhhh hate not having a gaming machine. Feel so left out :( 

From what I've gathered this is suppose to be a hybrid of a team shooter like TF2 and a moba like DOTA and LoL. And I believe this will be free with an in game store. I don't see how it would not when it's going to be in the same genre with said games mentioned above and those loyal fans take one look it this at first look and say it's a "rip off" of their game. So you know they won't be trying it if it wasn't free.

Personally I don't know what this will be like yet. I suspect the community for it will be more toward the troll side simply cause I think more moba players will check this out than the TF2 crowd. And Blizzard has it's own special quality of fan based gamers that lack sophistication. But it is a Blizz game and the track record for Blizz is generally they do make a very fun game.

From what I've gathered this is suppose to be a hybrid of a team shooter like TF2 and a moba like DOTA and LoL. And I believe this will be free with an in game store. I don't see how it would not when it's going to be in the same genre with said games mentioned above and those loyal fans take one look it this at first look and say it's a "rip off" of their game. So you know they won't be trying it if it wasn't free.

Personally I don't know what this will be like yet. I suspect the community for it will be more toward the troll side simply cause I think more moba players will check this out than the TF2 crowd. And Blizzard has it's own special quality of fan based gamers that lack sophistication. But it is a Blizz game and the track record for Blizz is generally they do make a very fun game.

Monday Night Combat without creep waves. They're probably going to sell the heroes themselves for a permanent unlock, and offer a rotating list of free heroes.

Ok Beta started for Overwatch and I have been watching streams on Twitch.   This is diffidently something to take on TF2 crowd.  Graphics look better and looks incredible and fun to play.  I can't wait to give it a try.

Pre-purchase is available. Looks like it will be $40 for the game and will be released sometime mid June next year. I didn't think they would go this way for purchasing but I guess we'll just have to see how they handle in game purchases for skins and stuff.

For the beta I have watched 40 is a very fair price for the game though. The game play is very smooth and well polished. I can really see them pushing this as an Esport as well. 

For anyone who is sitting on the fence for this one, there is no need. Purchase it when you can. There will be an open beta in a couple still if you insist on waiting to try it out then before buying it. But truthfully, you'll end up playing it the entire length of the beta and buy it. This is going to be a solid and addicting game.

Being a stress test that they did the past two days this game ran beautifully for me. Best of any FPS that I've played. There were times when I could notice the lag between people, but it was so minute that it did not hinder my enjoyment of gameplay. Not like other big titles by big companies were I would constantly be shot behind corners and other numerous issues with hit detection. Every shot I had felt like it hit properly and the same for being hit. I could easily tell where the danger was coming from. There were some server issues, but being a stress test that's to be expected and nothing stayed down long. Honestly, the only real negative thing I have to say is that it seemed like we were constantly only playing with a small player base as we kept being grouped with the same people.

Now game play review...

So it's setup is basically you will level your account based on exp you earn during the match. Much like a battlefield setup for ranking. Upon reaching a new level you will earn a loot box. This loot box will reward you with cosmetics for your characters. These range from new skins, emotes, funny voice lines, victory poses, sprays, and coins that you can use to purchase these cosmetics at your own choosing. There is a in game store that you most likely will be able to spend real money to purchase coins and maybe some other things, but it doesn't seem like it will be anything other than cosmetic.

Matches themselves are 6 v 6. You can queue solo or with friends. There are quick play matches, competitive matches, AI bots, and some weekly arcade altered mode where they augment some function of the normal gameplay. The game play it self is very unique. It's cartoony and objectives are familiar to everyone who plays TF2, but that's where it ends. And everyone will be playing for cosmetics, but that's where any comparison ends. The play itself is nothing like TF2. It's hard to really describe what it is cause there's a blend of elements from so many types of games. You've got the standard FPS feel, an FPS moba feel, even an FPS RPG feel.

The game play has an extremely smooth feel. Every character moves at the same speed with the exception of a few who have some skills that can close ground or move faster. The skills themselves don't feel spammy or clunky. They run on a cooldown function so you're more trying to use them at ideal times. And your ulty skill is charged up with damage you do, kills you make or assist on, etc. Most main weapons have a primary and alternate fire modes controlled by m1 and m2. There is a learning curve to understanding what each character does and how to engage and counter them.

So ya, everyone should look into getting this as many many people will being playing it for very good reasons. The game is going to be good and I could very easily see us having like 4 Overwatch channels in mumble full of people.

Also this is the format for comp play that they are starting out with.

Competitive Play will unlock to players once they reach level 25 in the game. This is to ensure that players starting out in comp have a general grasp on character and game mechanics.

Divisions and Tiers

Providing players with a sense of progression is an important part of any competitive system-in Overwatch's Competitive Play mode, advancement comes through a system of divisions and tiers.

Competitive PLay features four distinct tiers: Challenger, Advanced, Expert, and Master. Each tier also has five divisions, rank 1 through 5. Challenger 1 is the lowest tier and division (all players will begin here) and Master 5 is the highest. To progress, you'll need to earn a specific amount of points. You'll gain points for winning competitive matches and, depending on which tier you're in, lose points for being defeated. The number of points awarded or deducted varies depending on the tier and win / loss condition. With this, while you can always be promoted to a new division or tier by earning points, you can never be demoted out of a tier once you've reached it-regadless of how many points you may lose. You can only ever move to a lower division. (So once you reach Advanced you can never go back down to Challenger, but you can go up and down between rank 1 through 5.)

- Players start as Challenger 1 and with 0 points.

-Players will earn 20 points per victory.

-Players will lose 20 per defeat.

-Progressing from one division to the next requires 100 pooints.

-Progressing to the next tier requires 100 points while at rank 5 in a tier.

-While in Challenger tier players will not lose points for a defeat.

-While in Challenger, Advanced or Expert tiers players will earn 40 points for consecutive victories.

-While in Advanced or Expert tiers players will lose 10 points if the match is lost during a tie breaking round.

-Players may only queue as a group if they are within 10 divisions of each other. 

Players at Master 5 will have a chance to advance to a special fifth tier: Heroic! This tier has no divisions, instead, every player who reaches this will receive a numeric rank relative to all the other players in Heroic. In the future we also want to provide in-game leaderboards to showcase the top-ranked players in Heroic each season.

Competitive Play in Overwatch is designed to be seasonal with progression and eventually leaderboards resetting on the first day of every month. There will be cosmetic rewards specific to Comp Play.

I have a good feeling they are probably going to find out and address just how the resetting of the season will be. One month to go all the way from Challenger up the ranks seems like it could be too short. We'll have to see, but it sounds like a lot of fun to see if we couldn't get a couple comp groups formed at some time. I think we could even scrim against ourselves in a custom game, I'm not sure yet on that though.

No. If Frost was on the development team it would be a far worse game and would surely be a genuine TF2 knockoff. But it isn't. Comparing or calling Overwatch to a TF2 clone would be like saying Battlefield is a Call of Duty clone.  :o Oh yes I went there.

I personally really enjoy Overwatch it is one of the first games in awhile that has made me not want to put it down and just play all night regardless of work. I think the only way to really get a feel for the game is to play it, it does absolutely pull from other games like K said but it also adds its own spin and ideas to everything making it a really fun and unique experience. Try out the open beta and see if you like it! 

ok so are you going to say that Planetside is a Tribes clone? Cause they share that same niche of the FPS market, look similar, and Tribes broke into the market 5 years earlier.