Sign in to follow this  
Zipperbag

Comcast Cable

Ive been an avid phone-line guy..

I had the business class ISDN, when there wasnt no DSL/Cable in my area.  I eventually stepped up too DSL for yrs.

So anyway, I made the switch to cable, because my brother in-law has been raving w/ Oh you need to try it  ie.  What you get 3, Im getting 50

We actually have the same package 50/10 (if anyone wants more info, catch me on TS)

But, I wanted to know if any Guru's had any comments about the choice in packages, modem/ router etc.

Now Ive already been told that I may not notice when someone if downloading a movie.  I can tell ya it was night and day, when I got  call using ISDN..

I already had a router, which has performed as well as expected (imho), so I was looking more for the modem part of the deal..

This one seemed to fit the bill http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-arris-surfboard-600-series-docsis-3-0-cable-modem/9082019.p?id=1219389047410&skuId=9082019

In the future, should I consider increasing/upgrading towards the 105 package (in so far as gaming)

Should I consider purchasing an all in one type modem/router like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfinity-arris-touchstone-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-and-wireless-router-with-telephony-adapter/9082028.p?id=1219405801606&skuId=9082028

p.s.  Ive already seen or heard something about upgrading packages to increase time in relationship to special pricing.  I may enjoy hearing such things more on TS, so as to avoid any confusion (if possible)  Right now Im just curious if I have the "pro" setup or the "Joe" dealio

fwiw I have a tele thru ATT, and Dish Network for TV  (Comcast is just internet, at this time anyway)  smart man would have it etched in stone because my better half likes her Dish!

Wireless, especially satellite sucks. You can't overcome the physical latency limitations. While Comcast as a company sucks, it's all about the cable plant. If you have modern cable in your area, it doesn't matter if it's phone, cable, or what, things will likely be pretty good. If it's old & predates bidirectional data usage, it sucks to be you. When I had Comcast back in Colorado Springs, it kicked ass, but we lived in a new subdivision. Out here in Parker, my only option is Century Link, which isn't to bad, but not as good for bandwidth or reliability as Comcast was. But its rural out here with old cable plant.

Any DOCISS 3.0 modem is what you want. Motorola makes some good ones. Personally I never rely on my modem for any security & always put a dedicated router between the modem & my PCs.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Comcast support blows, and they will arbitrarily add things onto your bill if you don't watch them. The speeds and reliability depend on your local comcast provider and the lines in your area. The higher bandwidth internet options only really affect large file download speeds. Gaming pings aren't changed by more bandwidth. I would definitely recommend stepping up to cable over DSL. You will notice a big difference, especially when downloading or streaming video.

So I recently upgraded my internet from a 1.5mb DSl through a private ISP.  For years I was loving this setup because of the low latency.  I now run a 20mb (down, less than a meg up) Century link dsl and my internet is finally better.   It took them a few weeks to smooth the circuit out and my ping times are now pretty good.  I "think" this has as much to do as where Century Link as an ISP drops me off on the net.  Closer to big datacenters where game servers are likely located.  Downloads are much faster but I still feel it when I'm in Battlefield one of the girls is hitting Pinterest.

Hey guys, 

I should also mention that ATT has also twice sent e-mails explaining what should happen if we exceed our 250GB limit.  tbh, I forget  the consequences, but its like the naughty list w/ extra charges.   Personally I find all this quite interesting considering speed improvements and equipment like Apple TV.

In comparison Comcast has a 350GB limit, but its being waived for the time being, w/ testing being done in certain area's.

ATT is also switching to digital connections  (ie. no analogue phones)  Basically in a few yrs, if ya lose power, ya have no phone  (at least the way Im figurin anyway)  Im assuming a modem/router will be needed to have VOIP phones..

Also of note: per a phone call w/ ATT in the past..  The Uverse internet which is digital phone etc.  actually has a higher ping.

Currently my ping is actually better, but I see some fluctuation (say 5-10)

Its still not symmetrical, but it is faster