Sign in to follow this  
NAVSPECWARCOM

Hardline...my thoughts

Well, from first looks of Hardline, I kind of like it. I am not sure yet if it's just a refreshing break from Military Shooters or what, but I had a blast playing the BETA.

Some of the Pros that stuck out for me.

1.       Just like all Battlefield games, you can pretty much play as you want (albeit, it may not help your team win in some instances). I like games that are open, unscripted, and fun. Hardline I think delivers on that. Wanna climb to the top of a skyscraper and toss breaching charges on unsuspecting motorists below? Have at it...and laugh at their expense.

2.       Just like the Battlefield genesis game, conquest is there and it was fun to play in a different environment. I liked the two new modes I saw; Hotwire and Heist.

a.       Hotwire is sort of like conquest but there is a hitch. Instead of capturing a stationary Flag Point and holding it to bleed off the enemy's tickets, you "capture" a car. However, here is the hitch; you need to drive the car and get it up to speed (as you do, you will see the familiar "capture" progress bar at the bottom of the screen). You need to maintain that speed in order to "hold" the point. This gets to be fun where you have these crazy car chases and booby traps (see #1 above...hee hee) to stop the bleed.

b.      Heist is a classic Cops and Robbers mode. The map I played, "Bank Job" was a small map, but not linier. The point is for the robbers to break into a bank vault and make off with the cash. Conversely, the Police need to prevent the Heist. Sounds simple, but the game has some clever twists (I won't spoil them here). As the Robbers, you can go frontal assault and break into the vault by using a "Drill" (The player runs up to a drill attached to the vault and "Interacts" with it.) Once the drill is activated, there is a countdown and the police need to "deactivate" the drill before the countdown reaches zero (think of the MCOM in the rush games). There are also other entry points into the vault as well. This entails setting charges both behind and above the Vault. Once the "loot" is stolen, it becomes sort of like capture the flag. Of the three modes in the BETA, I think Heist requires the most Teamwork.

3.       The pace seems faster and I liked the fast load screens.

4.       Because the BETA was limited in scope, I did not get a chance to really find a weapon I liked (save the breaching charge...hee hee) But the weapons seemed ok to me.

5.       You don't earn new weapons and gadgets, you "purchase" them via "cash" you earn in the game.

6.       I like that they brought back the Tracer Dart and you can have an RPG lock on to a tagged target. However, give it time. I am sure the Flyboys will bitch and moan and that feature will go bye bye.

7.       Not sure if it's a Pro or Con, but purchasing a weapons takes some planning. When you purchase a weapon for Team A, it does not follow you to Team B. Therefore, you need to spend wisely.

Now some Cons.

1.       Destruction. Battlefield has conditioned us to the destructible environment that anything else seems like it's a step backwards in game development.  There were some buildings where players could hunker down and maintain a point in the Conquest game. In the old traditional way, you simply fire an RPG and make your own entrance. Not here. You need to enter thru the "fatal funnel" (doorways). Very aggravating.

2.       Point system. I think they need to tweak the "cash" (points) for the various modes;  especially if they want people to play Heist. I wrote a post on the BFH Forums stating, "...you rank up and get weapons in Hotwire mode first - then go play Heist.". I can play 3 rounds of Hotwire and make more "cash" than 10 rounds of Heist. Which sounds crazy because Heist requires more skill and teamwork to win.

3.       Too much crap. As mentioned above, you purchase upgrades and weapons. But honestly, it's just too much to have to micromanage. In addition, I am not sure if it was just because it was a BETA, but many items I couldn't "buy" even if I had the "cash". For some reason they were locked. I suppose I didn't meet the weapon's "requirement".

Overall, I liked what I saw and played. Of course, it was a BETA. Who knows what will change? I do look forward to the other maps and such and I think I can get into Hardline. 

Thanks for this Nav. Would love to hear from the rest of you as well.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually open to the idea of Hardline after looking into it a little bit (didn't play the beta). And that is because it seems more infantry-focused (no tanks, etc). For some reason I like the sound of that. I've always liked Bad Company 2 more than BF3+4. I particularly like the sound of Heist mode, and the teamwork that it requires (seems Rush-esque).

Soul, I know you still lurk on here, suck it up and type out your thoughts old man. And see if you can get some of the others to get on the forums to do the same!

Basically Visceral took some makeup and a bunch of lipstick, and went to work on an old copy of BF3..

On the bright side, It appears they cut out all the bad stuff..  ie.  OverPowered Jets!  

Now as Nav stated at least in Hotwire, every player can serve a purpose (even a guy We used to call "camping Sniper")  Basically The cars are so Fast, that the map seems small as hell..  So in "car time", a sniper doesnt really get a chance to camp, although Nav did appear to build quite the campsite once or twice..

The Car is the Flag, and if planned or Unplanned it can become quite the display of fireworks!  Especially when two - three "flags" meet..

RPG's have the greatest hit-window, w/ sniper Rifle HS's running a close 2nd..  If you think you cant hit the broad side of a barn,,,  while Now you can...

One last note, imho Hotwire reminded me of 2142 in how quickly the tide can change..  ex.  Say your Team is up by 200 points?  It might be time to start paying attention because you may just get your (_)_) handed to ya..  I seem to recall this occurring on a regular basis on BC2 Rush..  Walk on thru all the coms until the last Set   Brutal but Fun and intense

Honestly I played little CQ, and even less Heist, so its not worth reading..  First impressions may last awhile, but they can still be wrong..

Heist is Brutal..  Im sure with a real Team dedicated to working together it can be conquered.  Otherwise in general I suspect it will at times feel like playing PS2. 

Conquest in HardLine entails knowing how things have changed..  Can that Engy provide a spawn point (yep, he sure can)  Does the sniper show more promise in CQ (hell No) 

Now some Cons.

1.       Destruction. Battlefield has conditioned us to the destructible environment that anything else seems like it's a step backwards in game development.  There were some buildings where players could hunker down and maintain a point in the Conquest game. In the old traditional way, you simply fire an RPG and make your own entrance. Not here. You need to enter thru the "fatal funnel" (doorways). Very aggravating.

2.       Point system. I think they need to tweak the "cash" (points) for the various modes;  especially if they want people to play Heist. I wrote a post on the BFH Forums stating, "...you rank up and get weapons in Hotwire mode first - then go play Heist.". I can play 3 rounds of Hotwire and make more "cash" than 10 rounds of Heist. Which sounds crazy because Heist requires more skill and teamwork to win.

3.       Too much crap. As mentioned above, you purchase upgrades and weapons. But honestly, it's just too much to have to micromanage. In addition, I am not sure if it was just because it was a BETA, but many items I couldn't "buy" even if I had the "cash". For some reason they were locked. I suppose I didn't meet the weapon's "requirement".

Does anyone know why EA hasnt ramped up the destructible environment?  I really have not heard of any documented reasoning as to any negatives..  I would think about the best reason/excuse that I could think of would be less engy's.  Engy's would want rpgs to remotely make Big booms.

A few to alot of BF players enjoy teamwork.. I would guess point scoring could be adjusted as needed, But I wouldnt expect too much changes in the scoring.  Normal CQ isnt exactly "high Scoring" by default.

The cash issues overall were encountered based on performance..  Did you get alot of Kills using an M-16, while good luck trying to buy a scope for your AK-47.  Did ya drive a sedan?  It doesnt help w purchasing Helo upgrades, 

fwiw We also earned battlepack upgrades..  which allows unlocking one item for any gun  (so your more or less acquiring the item, not really buying it because youve earned it)

Hopefully, we get more discussion on the "unlocks" because I cant really be for sure that I trully understood things at times.  Speaking of Battlepacks,,  I guarantee you that Im not the one to ask about using boosts..

p.s.  Heres a video that I personally recorded.. 

The best part is NO Tanks. It has guns that shoot bullets, No lmg except as a pick up and you cant get more ammo (not quite sure how i feel about this). Cars that drive fast, which is actually kinda fun. Alot of different modes that will appeal to many different styles of play. 

I honestly didn't like the first beta, This one is growing on me and i only played a few hours. I think its going to be a good game (adjustable field of view for you Frost) and in the end i'm sure i will be playing it once i find my new mg36.

I know it's not much, but that's all your getting from me right now.

Soul is right on about many modes, I believe that I read five modes at launch..

Oh btw the "Professional" actually has quite a useful gadget, which made me think of scripted type play.  Basically snipers can deploy tripwires that can be placed just about anywhere, up to and including in broad daylight in the middle of a street..  Its quite fun to hit one, when your winding out the rpm's, and eyeballing the mini-map.   Im quite sure its just as much devastating on a CQ map, where positioning is vital.

helpful "how to vid" "Hacker" aka Commander.. 

Why Hardlne should be a better game from the start and why BF4 had a rocky start but why did it take 11/2 half years to fix ?

Cheers Warmongers

Now lets play cops and robbers because it was just FUN !!!!!

My Hardline Review>>>>> Well I have played longer than anyone in the Clan so far and highest ranked with the most money! The reson is I dont work much in the winter and have no Life .lol So here is my take on Hardline >>> It should have never had the word Battlefield associated with this game not even close they just wanted to sell the name ! Its a fun game ? YES is it worth 120.00 NO ! If you want some laughs buy the cheapest you can find at 40.00 as posted then buy the expansion if you like it. Those expansions will include new maps ?? It is needed because you get tired of these maps in a hurry.....The weapons options are very limited ,very evoultion (destruction) etc. They have a basic of 6 game modes and 9 maps sounds good right ? I think the game will get tiring in a very short time . But I have laughed more in this game so far than all my time in BF4. The game launch was miles ahead of BF4 very few if any problems .My take on it all >> You guys that left BF4 because of all the problems go back and try it again because it is the best game and has been fixed.. Hardline ????? Not sure if I can Recommend this game as its too much money for its content but I would like to see some of you TF2 and Planetside guys give BF4 another chance it a great game NOW and new modes on their way. TF2 guys I thinks you would like Hardline. Hope that satisfies FROST he is hard one to please ....This is just my thoughts guys and Soul, Some ,Zipper and the rest need to post their thoughts too . Best Regards Always

I think what Can was trying to say consists of something like,, 

"I play Age of Chilvary ||| every day, and twice on Sundays..

Gimme a yell on TeamSpeak if ya wanna play some HardLine, and I will do my best to give ya some direction..

I cant remember the last time I played BF4, but it has some really played out maps, Dont it!

Not one single tank in HardLine, where do they get off implying Battlefield..  I hope they have plans for a TDM map-pack, and soon! "

I jest Only, Can wont tell ya what or How to do anything in HardLine; Can will just wait until the EOR, and let ya know you need to play some games w/ Frost to build your Team Work Skills..  Unless you have a good game, then hell say "Great Score"  Or  "Nice Score"

fyi: I was attempting humor above!   Seriously, I believe most of us have posted our review (cept maybe a couple)  Im thinking Some, Tramua, and SeanO may wanna post a lil something..  Can has me thinking Frost is at least considering the game..  I think We did have some fun at the BF4 launch too..  In other words if We get Frost to try it, and he likes it...  ya know what Im sayin.

p.s.  I think it would be cute to see Draino and Tiger toolin down the highway in their Pro-Street w/ Tiger hanging out the Window, w/ an RPG!