Oxide

Star Wars Battlefront

Does anybody know of any more "matchmaking" news?

It almost seems like one of those situations, which amts to free advertising.. 

Eventually it being discovered that theres multiple Server settings  ie.  "Official" featuring matchmaking  Or  Ranked Clan/Tournament friendly

Played for 5 hours today and learned a lot. So, here are my thoughts from the day of release:

Pros:

1. The graphics are extremely impressive even on my older vid card
  2. Considering it's a beta, the game played smoothly and I never crashed one.  That's an improvement from the past few Battlefield games
  3. Nvidia released a new driver to help this game but I played on the older driver and it ran fine.  Updating isn't required which is nice compared to other games being unplayable on release.

Cons:

1. Similar to the release of Battlefield 3, there isn't an option to browse for servers, find friends, and squad up.  They had that fixed about 2 months later with BF but I wish they would have learned something from that experience.  I did find you could get on the same server as friends but you need to be friends in Origin, right click there and join game.  Still, there is no way to switch teams, or change squads which is a total oversight.
  2. The first few hours you'll run around in circles on multiplayer.  There is lots of action going on which is great, but the tutorial of the game teaches you nothing about how to play other then some quick shooting of bad guys for 5 minutes. Yes, the tutorial (solo player) is useless.
  3. Proximity chat.  I've been asking for this since they last used it in BF 2142.  It was extremely helpful to yell to the next squad, not to mention your own, to watch the right for a sniper.  It made the game come together much better and encouraged teamwork more then any other option.  And sadly, it's missing from another EA game.
  4. The insight the game developers had to let the empire park a small AT-AT on a rebel respawn is mind blowing. Just finished a game where one guy had over a hundred kills and killed the server since everyone left mad.  Some limits of where the hardware can go is needed.

Overall, id say to give it a try.  It's free to play for the next few days, just don't tell Draino as we don't need "that guy" around here.   :)

1. The insight the game developers had to let the empire park a small AT-AT on a rebel respawn is mind blowing. Just finished a game where one guy had over a hundred kills and killed the server since everyone left mad.  Some limits of where the hardware can go is needed.

Frost, we might have to get this after all. That sounds like superior spawn supression. But I won't make a move until Soul sends me a screen shot of him riding a tauntaun with the biggest gun in the game mounted to it.

Hye Nexus   I believe ya may wanna recheck all the settings..

There is an actual "join" lobby to invite friends.  Im pretty sure you designate one as your "partner" too..  (Top Left of initial screen) eight max!

It is positive to hear about joining via Origin (imo) because I cant imagine how many times were going to all wanna sit and wait for a certain time or everyone to show up..

No server rentals.. I believe its all run via EA Servers  as per

There is a button to ask friends to join or create a lobby but it doesn't work.  Soul confirmed it didn't work for him either.  Again, some great ideas from the past just don't make it to these new games which is just sad.

I do wish you had some type of knife or dog tags to encourage close combat.  There isn't much to do when you get close in this game.  Remember those good times Flip and Rad?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3v72zix5xfmksg/Flipshot.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhs6f9k6mgfpjyr/Radpack.jpg?dl=0

I was just looking at some server providers and I don't see this game on there sites yet so makes me kinda nervous. No private servers? No browser? I can't believe DICE would not make the PC version just like BF.

There is a button to ask friends to join or create a lobby but it doesn't work.  Soul confirmed it didn't work for him either.  Again, some great ideas from the past just don't make it to these new games which is just sad.

I do wish you had some type of knife or dog tags to encourage close combat.  There isn't much to do when you get close in this game.  Remember those good times Flip and Rad?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3v72zix5xfmksg/Flipshot.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhs6f9k6mgfpjyr/Radpack.jpg?dl=0

There is a game which rewards you with Dog Tags...It's called "Battlefield 4"! Oh wait, you don't play that. Never mind. Go back to playing Peggle. :sigh:

Sigh.  I thought I was all set to go and when it tries to run gives me an error that I need NVIDIA drivers 358.50 or better.  Going back too look at the system requirements, I know a couple of weeks ago it did say the Min graphic card needed was a GTX 260, which is why I though I would be good.  But now it says it needs a GTX 660 or better.  Something to keep an eye out.  Might be a couple of days before I get the card.  Might just wait till Black Friday next week to order the new card.

So if your interested, Myself, mith ,oxide,bones and flip were able to all get in a party and all be on the same team, not get switched in several game modes and servers. Its easier on the 40 man servers but you can still make it happen on the 16 man servers also. Great fun especially getting killed or killing people as Vader. 

LOL, early this morning I was able playing and got in an ION cannon for once.  Got something like 30+ kills before they took it out.  Almost was able to get in one of those big AT AT walkers, but of course you die so fast, but almost, I saw the icon and was running for it.  If we can get a lead as to were those spawn that would be awesome.

Since I've got some pretty decent time with this game now, I figure I'll chip in my two cents.

The game is great. Generally speaking, it is remarkably well balanced (especially considering that it just came out). Bugs/glitches are almost non existent in my experience so far. The shooting/moving mechanics all feel good and lend the game a fairly fast yet not overly frantic pace. Maps are very good, and there must be about 8-10 of them spread out across 4 different planets. The bigger game modes that include vehicles may need some tweaking balance-wise, but the infantry combat is very solid. Gun play is good in both first and third person. If you're a starwars fan you'll like how authentic the game is to the films.

Overall, the game is just a lot of fun and I'd have to highly recommend it. The joining/party system has been a hang up for a lot of people looking at the game from what I've heard. But honestly, as long as your party is 8 or smaller, there is absolutely no problem getting into games together quickly. It remains to be seen how it works with more people than that because more people need to buy the game to play with us  ;)

If anyone who is looking at the game wants some more detailed impressions feel free to ask me or anyone else who has already been playing!

OMG, I just discovered Bounty Hunter Trait at level 3.  It is so so nice.  its almost like you have unlimited power ups as long as your killing people.  The reset cool-downs as well, just omg is so nice.