WhiteNexus

GeForce GTX 1070 or 1080 - the big question

So, i'm thinking of retiring my old gtx 690 video card and have been looking over the new GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080 cards.  I'm leaning towards the 1070 for the price point.  If you were buying one of these, which would it be?

• GTX 1070 - $400
  • GTX 1080 - $650

Definitely go with the 1070 unless you plan on buying the HTC Vive (or the Vive2 when its released). In that case, I would spring for the 1080 since you'll want the increased super sampling. (Please don't buy the Oculus Rift). But aside from virtual reality applications, the 1070 is a much better price-per-performance ratio right now.

I'd go with the FTW edition so you don't have to worry about over-clocking it yourself, and you get the best of the silicon. And although there are several good manufacturers, my favorite is still EVGA.

If you're a new customer to jet.com, you can get $30 off your first order, and a few more bucks off if you use a debit card. So for the 1070 ftw you can get it for around $402 shipped: https://jet.com/product/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1070-FTW-DT-GAMING-ACX-30-Graphics-Card/52ebf86dacc748f1a8b037dd75b29a62. That beats Amazon and Newegg by about $30.

Talking with my tech buddies he said the true difference is the 1080 is only about 10% better, or if your planning on playing games in 4K.  It comes down to money.  If you feel 250 is worth the 10% or you know you will be playing in 4K, then get the 1080.  But if you don't have 4K gaming in mind, just get the 1070.  Beside next year the Titan cards will probably drop down in price as well.  Technology just goes so fast.

Not interested in VR and I was seriously thinking of the 1070 but thought to mention the 1080 in case I missed something big.  The 1070 seems to be a great card for the price.

I'd read the 1080 TI would be coming out in January, but i'm not really interested in dropping 1,000 for that card.  I do game, but i'm no Tiger.  LOL

Lots of 1070 options.  Had looked at ASUS because the clock speed was so much faster.  http://thepcenthusiast.com/geforce-gtx-1070-compared-asus-evga-zotac-msi-gigabyte/

I ended up going with the ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition.  There is a slight bump in clock speed (1860 MHz) and the three fans it uses have nice reviews around the net.  I looked hard at the Gigabyte G1 version, but the reviews that were poor all complained about the fan noise.  I ended up finding a few videos comparing the various versions and the EVGA and ASUS seemed to be the top ones for my needs.  Other cards were a smaller form factor or had more LED options, but i don't really care about those two things.  From the numbers, i'll be getting a 4-6 time boost from my current card which should be nice; i'd be blow away with even 2x the performance.