Sign in to follow this  
Sean O

Computer Upgrade time

My current rig, i5-3570k and 8GB of RAM are not cutting it anymore. My CPU is almost always maxed out with new games (BF1), and I plan to start backing up my vast Blu-Ray collection soon. Encoding a video right now takes a few hours. By very first computer was an AMD build back in 2001, intel after that. I was looking at intel again until the AMD Ryzen came out. I must say, being a Intel "fanboy" (I own stock in the company to), AMD is looking like the better buy right now. The 1800x specifically. Has anyone here already picked up one of the new AMD chips? What are you thoughts on it? I know that motherboards are like seeing unicorns playing poker with Bigfoot right now, so it will be another month or two. The other big plus to the chip is that my video encoding should be extremely quicker. 

So, anyone messing around with the Ryzen?

Sure looks like Ryzen has potential for the long haul, as games rely more on multiple cores. I'm running an i7-2600k from 2011 and was looking at Ryzen as well, but there's some issues currently with memory speeds not being able to run at their rated speed. With Ryzen 5 (1600/1600x) coming out in a few weeks I hope to see AMD and the mobo makers release some updated BIOS or newer boards to help with memory compatibility. After I see some stability there I'll be making the jump.

It's also worth noting that for price-performance the 1700 seems to be the best bet, in some cases it out performs the 1700x even.

Yeah, I think that my Ivy Bridge is from around that time. Something about 8 cores physical and 16 virtual seems also nice for video compression and any future products that take more advantage of multiple cores.. I think I am going to wait another month or two and see if they get the single core gaming performance situated without adjusting a bunch of settings in windows. Who knows, Intel might lower their prices a little if their sales start to drop. Unfortunately, since it has been 4-5 years since my last build, I will need a processor, MOBO, and RAM. Everything else in my rig will be fine. Let me know if you end up grabbing one.

Will do! I'm waiting for Ryzen 5 to drop here in a few weeks and see if the manufacturers drop any new motherboards with them. Even if they aren't too far ahead of intel in single core performance it may be more 'future proof' to have multiple fast cores as games begin taking advantage of them. I'm in the same boat though - I'll need a new mobo, cpu, ddr4 memory...